Michele E. Foster
509-261 Cooper Street, Ottawa, ON K2P 0G3
(613) 232-7447 email@example.com
I am a well-organized and outgoing web professional with over 15 years of experience developing and managing web sites in both the public and private sectors. I have a deep understanding of web technologies and the strategic vision to bring ideas to life in a cost-effective manner.
Desktop Software: PhotoShop, MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, CorelDraw, various web-related tools
Web-based Software: WordPress, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, ISAPI Rewrite (redirect URLs), SQL Server, Plesk, cPanel, Google Analytics, AdSense (and other affiliate networks), MadMimi (and other email marketing tools), DPD (digital product distribution), Zoom search, validation and testing tools
Social Media: Facebook (personal, pages & groups), Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram
Web Developer and Community Builder
Dec. 2007 -Present
- Founded an internationally-recognized community web site. The site averages 2,000 visits per day and has 13,000+ newsletter subscribers and 17,000+ Facebook followers.
- Wrote content for five (or more) blog posts each week including quilting tutorials, hosting contests and promoting quilting-related events, products and services. Sent out weekly newsletters and promoted new content and events on social media web sites.
- Developed and hosted various community-building events such as blog hops, contests, quilt drives, swaps and quilt-alongs, both independently, and in conjunction with other industry leaders.
- Analyzed site traffic and affiliate advertising. Worked with various advertising partners.
- Technology used: The site is a hybrid of WordPress and custom ASP and PHP code that runs off of two MySQL databases. It includes Google APIs, jQuery, Zoom search and ASP components.
Mar. 1998 – Present
WizarDev – Web Development Solutions
- Designed, developed and maintained several web sites including brochure-like sites, product databases, web-based applications and e-commerce solutions for a wide variety of clients. Web sites are either hand-coded in ASP or use WordPress with a custom-built theme and various plugins to meet requirements. Sites are designed and developed to W3C standards and best practices for web accessibility and usability.
- Developed web-based applications using ASP/VBScript and either MySQL, MS Access or SQL Server. Some examples include: event registration forms, inventory tracking, motorhome reservations, customer warranty and service system, contact management, shop locator, time management and invoicing, etc.
Internet Officer (IS-03)
Nov. 2003 – Mar. 2006
Natural Resources Canada
- Redeveloped the Government of Canada’s bilingual Climate Change web site based on a pre-approved design. The site was hand-coded in ASP, XHTML and CSS to meet Common Look and Feel guidelines, departmental standards, W3C standards, and accessibility/usability best practices.
- Managed the day-to-day development and maintenance of the Climate Change web site including various database-driven applications.
- Researched software, Internet technologies and web development applications, as required.
- Led the design and co-developed the One-Tonne Challenge Extranet site.
- Analyzed site traffic using WebTrends, prepared weekly, monthly and fiscal statistical reports and monitored search engine traffic. Reviewed site traffic errors and implemented URL redirection.
- Undertook a needs assessment and evaluation of suppliers to provide multimedia streaming and encoding services.
- Prepared technical documentation for use by content creators and third party developers.
- Technology used: ASP, SQL Server database, CSS, HTML, WebTrends, ISAPI Rewrite.
Web and MS Access Developer
Dec. 2002 – Sep. 2003
World University Service of Canada
- Managed a complete redesign and development of the bilingual web site (~700 pages).
- Researched options and evaluated various stand-alone products for a search engine and forum.
- Developed Photoshop templates for staff to create photo galleries quickly and easily.
- Trained staff to update the site using Dreamweaver MX, Contribute and CSS.
- Created comprehensive procedures, guidelines and site documentation.
- Developed multi-page, interactive registration forms for use by international development workers submitting their resumes and identifying their experience. These registration forms were developed in ASP and the data submitted to an in-house MS Access database.
- Quilt designer, author and on-line teacher (since 2009)
- Certified pet dog trainer (graduated 2013)
- Executive administrative assistant (10+ years)
- Desktop publishing (10+ years)
- Accounting clerk (3 years)
- Retail experience (5 years)